Microsoft Word's Add-in panels are mini-web browsers built into Word. Sometimes, when updating the Add-in, Word will try to load a cached (or older) version of the panel page incorrectly. This can cause problems because the panel is out of date.
By clearing the cache (the older downloaded copies), Word will download the latest version of the panels the next time you open the PERRLA Add-in.
On a Windows computer
On a Windows computer, you have to clear the cache in both Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge. Clearing the cache in only one will not fully clear the cache for Microsoft Word. All Windows computers have both Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge installed (even if you've never used them).
Clearing the cache in Internet Explorer:
- Open Internet Explorer
- Click the gear icon in the top-right corner, then select Internet Options
- On the General tab, click Delete under Browsing History
- Un-check the Preserve Favorites website data box
- Only check Temporary Internet files, Cookies, and History boxes
Uncheck the rest of the boxes (Download History, Form data, Passwords, & Tracking Protection).
- Click Delete
- When finished, click OK and then close Internet Explorer
Clearing the cache in Microsoft Edge:
- Click the Hub icon"
This looks like three dots in the top-right corner of the window.
- Click the History
- Click Clear history
- Check the boxes for Browsing History, Cookies & saved website data, & Cached data and files
- Click Clear under the checkboxes
- Close Microsoft Edge
At this point, you can restart Microsoft Word & retry the PERRLA Add-in.
On a Mac
- Open Microsoft Word
- Open a PERRLA panel by clicking one of the icons in the PERRLA ribbon tab
- Click the "i" icon in the top-right corner of the PERRLA panel
- Click Clear Web Cache
- Close the panel & restart Word