An annotation is a note of explanation added immediately after a reference on your Reference Page.
How to annotate a PERRLA Reference
Once you've added a reference using PERRLA, you can add an annotation in just a few steps.
- Go to the PERRLA ribbon tab
- Click References & Citations
- Hover over the reference you'd like to annotate
When you hover over a reference, you'll see the More options icon. It looks like an ellipsis or three dots.
- Click the More options icon
- Select Add Annotation
And that's it!
PERRLA will insert 'Type Your Annotation Here' beneath the reference. You can replace it with your reference's annotation text, and PERRLA will automatically ensure it's in the proper format.
How to annotate a Manually Created Reference
You can also easily annotate any reference added to your paper manually (one not created using PERRLA).
- Place your cursor at the end of the reference to be annotated
- Press Return or Enter on your keyboard
- Click Text & Heading Style in the PERRLA ribbon
- Select Annotation from the drop-down menu
Although you may not see much of a change, PERRLA will update the text's style so it's properly formatted for an annotation. Now, you're ready to begin typing your annotation.