Adding references to your paper is easy with the new PERRLA Add-in.
You can use the References & Citations panel in PERRLA to create References, add previously created References to our new papers, and create citations for the references we’ve added to our paper.
How to create a new reference
We’ll click Create a new Reference to start the Reference Wizard. It’s going to walk us through the creation process in three simple steps.
- Click Create a new Reference
- Select the type of reference you need to create
- Answer the questions PERRLA asks
- Review & confirm your reference
- Add it to your paper
The first time we add a reference to our paper, PERRLA will automatically create our paper’s reference section. All the References in our paper are listed in the References & Citations panel and PERRLA keeps them sorted correctly in the paper’s Reference section.
Let’s use our new reference to cite a quote in our paper.
- Place the cursor where you want the citation
- Click + Add Citation under the correct reference
- Enter the citation's information
- Click Add Citation
Like magic, PERRLA will create and insert our citation for us.
Add existing references to my paper
In addition to creating new references, PERRLA saves all of your previous references so you can re-use them in future papers. Here's how to add your previously created references to your papers.
- Click Add Reference from Library
- Click +Add to Paper beneath the reference you want
You can add as many references as you need. Added references are shaded green and the button changes to Remove from paper.
- When finished, click Finished at the bottom
NOTE: If your reference was originally created in an earlier version of the PERRLA Add-In as an APA 6-compliant reference, you can also add it to your APA 7th Edition papers by using the Update & Add function.
Editing References & Citations
After you've created your References & Citations, you can edit them using PERRLA's References & Citations panel. Here's how:
- Open the References & Citations panel
- Move your mouse to the reference or citation you want to edit
When you mouse over a reference or citation, you'll see a "..." icon show up on the right side.
- Click the ... icon on the right side of the reference or citation
- Click Edit from the menu
This will open the reference or citation's edit menu. Make the necessary changes and click the green button at the bottom to save the changes. PERRLA will automatically update your paper for you.